I snapped a shot and somebody on 6th street didn’t like it, so I deleted it… and, by accident, all the other photos I had taken over the last week. The combination of button presses for “formatting” is surprisingly similar to “deleting” on a Zumi. Thanks to some folks on Twitter I learned that I may be able to retrieve some of the shots through special data recovery software… these are some of the shots I saved.
A couple notes:
1. for some reason, all of these recovery programs are $80 for Mac or $45-60 for PC. I guess they figure they can charge whatever they want… and Mac users have more money?
2. if you do accidentally format a disk, DON’T USE IT. Each new piece of data runs the risk of overwriting old data.
3. I’m gonna be honest, I wasn’t about to drop $80 for some software without knowing if it would work or not… so if you were looking to pirate a copy, that’s an option you shouldn’t have trouble with.
4. My first result didn’t turn up any of my lost images, but then I found an advanced feature to look specifically for photos… and that gave me way more than I had expected! Seriously, like month’s of photos.
5. This may not be for everyone, but I got some cool glitch results from the data retrieval process, like these guys: