Bandcamp announced they are donating their cut of album sales to the ACLU for the day (2/3/17). In solidarity, I’m donating 100% of my album sales on Bandcamp to the ACLU too. This will be for any sales between now and Monday morning.
I might suggest my 2008 rap album “Me Geek Pretty One Day“
or my most recent album “Destroy All Presets“
Update: It lives! Go back it now!
Straight on the heels of completing my 1st Kickstarter, I’m excited to announce a new project launching next week! I’ve just wrapped production on my new album, Destroy All Presets, and I’m all set to release it in early February. DAP was almost entirely created on a Game Boy Advance using the Nanoloop cartridge, which is basically the physical cart version of the Nanoloop app I used to make Beeps and Smudges with. I love Nanoloop so much that I’m working Oliver, the program’s creator, to make a limited edition run of Nanoloop carts that come preloaded with my instrumentals on them.
This means you can play or remix my tunes, or make your own, all on an old Game Boy Advance with one of these unique carts.
I’m heading up to Portland this very weekend for the Battery Powered Orchestra Workshop. I’ve actually wanted to do a laptop-less electronic music festival in SF for some time now, so I’m really excited to check out something similar. If anyone reading this happens to be there, please say “hi”. Despite being an introvert, I really would like to meet and chat with many strangers this weekend:)
I’ve long been a collector of glitch apps for ios and have had my fingers crossed for a good video glitch (or datamoshing) app. I’ve toyed around with animating Decim8 images, but last week a new app called Databender finally made it’s way to the app store.
Databender appears to have two distinct modes: image & video. The video mode is what I spent most of my time messing with. This provides some pretty straightforward compression errors that look pretty swell. Sort of like this video. The only two modes of adjustment for the video effect are Intesity and Target (which I believe selects how wide the glitchable area is). For the video above, I took several videos I shot and edited in Lightt and ran them through several different settings in Databender. I then took these glitched clips and arranged them in iMovie and added a song from my Beeps and Smudges album as a background track. These files are actually fun to work with and I was surprised that while working in iMovie, I’d get different compression effects depending on what clips were side by side with another.. sort of turning iMovie itself into a glitch editor. I especially dug this effect of Christine skating over me!
It’s worth mentioning that this whole video (music, editing, glitching, etc) was created using iPhone apps.